I am a sociologist whose research focuses on poverty and inequality, governance and state-society dynamics, gender, and class.
I received my PhD in Sociology from the University of California at Berkeley and I am currently Associate Professor and Provost’s Chair in Sociology at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
Photo courtesy of T:>Works
I am the author of two books: This Is What Inequality Looks Like (Ethos Books, 2018) and Neoliberal Morality in Singapore: How family policies make state and society (Routledge, 2011).
My academic work has been published in Economy and Society, Signs, Social Politics, and Development and Change, among others. I recently co-published a report on basic needs and minimum income standards.
Besides research, teaching is a crucial part of my work as a sociologist. First as a graduate student teaching assistant at UC Berkeley, and then as a full-time professor at the Nanyang Technological University, I have been teaching undergraduates since 1998. At NTU, I have taught these courses: Classical Sociological Theory; Qualitative Methodology in Social Research; Sociology of Gender; Power, Politics, and the State; Social Movements; Social Class and Inequality.
Over the last decade, I have also contributed regularly to public debate through public lectures and media commentaries in The Straits Times, Today, Channel NewsAsia, Lianhe Zaobao, and New Naratif. I am also an editor of Academia.sg, a joint effort with other scholars to promote Singapore studies and to encourage critical debate about the state of intellectual life in Singapore.
You can contact me at yyteo at ntu dot edu dot sg.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
- 2020: This is What Inequality Looks Like shortlisted for the Singapore Literature Prize (Creative Nonfiction)
- 2019: AWARE Awards (Woman of Insight), Association of Women for Action and Research (video)
- 2019: Nanyang Technological University Provost’s Chair in Sociology
- 2018: Finalist, The Straits Times Singaporean of the Year
- 2016: Feminist Scholar Activist Award, American Sociological Association Sex and Gender Section
- 2013: Nanyang Education Award (School), Nanyang Technological University
- 2001: Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award, UC Berkeley